5-Minute Collard Greens with Sunflower SeedsCollard greens are a highly nutritious green rich in calcium and one that is becoming an increasingly popular side dish that complements almost any meal.
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound collard greens, chopped
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped or finely pressed
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 TBS sunflower seeds
- crumbled feta cheese
- chopped olives
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While steam is building up, slice collard greens leaves into 1/2-inch slices and cut again crosswise. Cut stems into 1/4-inch slices. Let both leaves and stems sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Press or chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out more of its health-promoting properties.
- Steam collard greens for no more than 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss collard greens with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately).
- Top with sunflower seeds and any/all of optional ingredients if you would like.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
To mellow the flavor of garlic, add garlic to collard greens for the last 2 minutes of steaming.