Pasta with ClamsThis healthy variation of clam pasta is a delicious, quick, and easy way to have highly nutritious clams in your diet. It is lighter than some pasta recipes and the abundance of basil adds extra healthy benefits and flavor.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 lb whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 1 TBS + 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 oz can whole clams with juice
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- *optional 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While water is coming to a boil and pasta is cooking, heat 1 TBS broth over medium heat in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth for about 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Cook for another 10 minutes on high heat to reduce and intensify sauce. Add clams and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add pressed garlic, chopped basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Remove from heat immediately and toss with cooked, drained pasta.