Seaweed RiceWhile seaweed, or sea vegetables, is becoming more familiar to us in the west, many people still want to know how to incorporate it into their meals. This recipe is a great way to enjoy more of these nutrient-rich foods.
Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 2 medium pieces wakame, (2 TBS soaked and chopped)*
- 2 TBS chopped dulse seaweed
- 2-1/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- salt and white pepper to taste
- *For more on Sea vegetables.
Serves 4 as side dish
- Chop garlic and mince onion and let them sit for 5-10 minutes to enhance their health-promoting benefits.
- Rinse wakame, and soak in the warm water. After 5 minutes, squeeze out the water from the wakame and chop it. Save water.
- While wakame is soaking, chop the dulse.
- Heat 1 TBS of seaweed soaking water in a medium saucepan. Healthy Sauté chopped onion over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, rice, chopped wakame, dulse, and the water in which the wakame was soaked.
- Bring water to a boil on high heat. As soon as it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 35 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.