Pureed Lima Beans with Rosemary Tomato BrothEnjoy this recipe as a great substitute for mashed potatoes and an great way to include more beans to your Healthiest Way of Eating.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Tomato Broth
- 3 TBS + 1-1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/8 tsp dried rosemary)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz cans lima beans, rinsed and drained,
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Chop onions and chop and press garlic and let them sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- Heat 3 TBS broth and Healthy Sauté 1/2 onion for 3 minutes over medium low heat stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add rest of broth and tomato paste. Cook on high heat for about 20 minutes. It should reduce to about half the volume. Strain away the liquid, returning it to the saucepan. (Discard onion and garlic.) Season with rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- While broth is reducing, Healthy sauté 1 medium onion in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beans, stock, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Puree bean mixture with pressed garlic in a blender. Stop blender occasionally to scrape sides with a rubber spatula.
- Serve beans drizzled with tomato broth.