Minestrone SurpriseSoups are a great way to enjoy a variety of vegetables in one dish. The portabello mushrooms and kale give this soup an unusually rich flavor, and if you want to make it more traditional you can add a little shell pasta.
Prep and Cook Time: prep time: 20 minutes; cooking time 45 minutes
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 6 medium sized cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced (to yield about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces (to yield about 1 cup)
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/4 cup diced portabello mushrooms, black gills cut out and discarded
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS dried Italian herbs
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can navy beans (no BPA), drained
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients by chopping and measuring.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add broth and rest of ingredients except beans and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil on high heat, reduce heat to low and continue cooking, uncovered for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans, cook for another couple minutes, season with salt and pepper, and serve.