Veggies are a great way to start the day. It takes little time to prepare the kale and top with a poached or soft boiled egg.
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While steam is building up, cut off the thick stem ends and slice Kale leaves into 1/8-inch slices (thick stems can be saved for soup). (Curly Kale can be shredded in a food processor.) Slicing Kale thinly ensures even cooking and the best flavor. Let sliced Kale sit for 5-10 minutes before steaming.
- Let chopped or pressed garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- When water comes to a full boil place kale in steamer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam for 5 minutes for al dente Kale.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss Kale with the Mediterranean Dressing and top with poached or soft boiled egg and pumpkin seeds.
For best flavor, use a knife and fork to cut the
cooked Kale crosswise several times until it is in very small pieces. The more finely you cut Kale the more exposed surface area you create. This can allow more
flavors of the dressing to pass into the Kale and speed up desirable changes in texture including tenderness.
Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Kale, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil. The dressing will also help tenderize the Kale.