Day 6 of the upcoming WHFoods 7-Day Meal Plan is our meatless day. We encourage you to sample the recipes that we have been (and will be) previewing over the next several weeks. They are packed with nutrition from the nutrient-rich foods found in each recipe.
This taco recipe provides over 25% of the recommended Daily Value for vitamins B3, B6, folate, and calcium as well as over 90% of the DV for vitamin C. It's also quick, easy and tastes great! Each day we will share with you a special tip about the nutrient-rich foods that make up this recipe and how that food helps to optimize your health.
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 TBS low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1-2 tsp pickled jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pickled jalapeno juice (optional)
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded green cabbage or red cabbage
- 2 TBS cheddar or pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 TBS of your favorite store-bought salsa
- 2-3 soft corn tortillas, or burrito sized tortilla (gluten-free), heated
- Dice onions and chop or press garlic, and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Dice bell peppers.
- Heat 3 TBS broth or water over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet, covered.
- As soon as broth begins to steam, add onions and bell peppers and cook, covered with a tight fitting lid for 7 minutes. Stir once and add more broth if it evaporates.
- Add garlic, black beans, jalapeno and juice, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in olive oil and cilantro.
- Heat tortilla(s) in a separate pan.
- Fill either corn tortillas or burrito sized tortilla with bean mixture, cabbage and cheese, and top with salsa.