The combination of eggs and greens makes our version of the more traditional huevos rancheros much more nutritious and tasty. Eggs are known for their high quality protein and collard greens add an antioxidant punch to breakfast while helping to reduce cholesterol levels at the same time!. This breakfast is a great way to start the day and keep you energized until lunch. The wealth of health-protective nutrients in this Huevos Rancheros recipe include 61% DV (Daily Value) for selenium, 49% DV for vitamin C, 46% DV for folate, 45% DV for vitamin B2, 44% DV for protein, 34% DV for vitamin E, 29% DV for vitamin B12, 26% DV for calcium, 26% DV for vitamin B6, and much more!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 eggs, poached
- 1/4 lb, about 2 cups collard greens, thinly sliced and packed
- 1/4 cup canned black beans
- 1/4 cup store-bought salsa
- 1 TBS pumpkin seeds, chopped or ground
- Mediterranean Dressing:
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped or pressed
- Sea salt and pepper taste
- Prepare to poach eggs by heating water in sauce pan. How to Prepare Poached Eggs
- Chop or press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fill the bottom of a steamer pot with 2 inches water and heat, covered.
- Remove tough bottom part of stem from collard greens. Roll several collard leaves together into a log shape, and slice leaves very thinly, then cut crosswise 4-6 times into 1/4" inch pieces (this step is very important for flavor). Tightly pack leaves to measure 2 cups. (You can also shred the collard greens in the food processor with the thick slicer blade).
- Let vegetables sit 5 minutes before steaming.
- Add collards to steamer basket, cover with tight-fitting lid and steam for 5 minutes. (If you prefer a more mellow flavor of garlic you can add it to the steaming collard greens during the last minute of cooking and delete from the dressing ingredients.)
- While collards are steaming, poach the eggs, and heat the beans.
- Place prepared collard greens on a plate, and toss with Mediterranean Dressing.
- Top with eggs, black beans, salsa and pumpkin seeds.