Everyone who cooks is likely to have faced this dilemma at one time or another: a bowl or pot of rice sitting in the refrigerator without any food to accompany it.
Here are seven ideas so good, you'll always want to have cooked rice on hand:
- Make a simple rice salad. Artichoke hearts, roasted or raw red pepper, olives, almonds, pistachios and cashews all go along well. Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a teaspoon of sherry wine vinegar, and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard combine in a quick dressing that will make your rice seem like anything but a leftover.
- Add your rice to some soup, either canned or fresh. Rice really makes a split pea, lentil or bean soup into a hearty mid-day meal.
- Make a quick rice pudding. Add a cup of organic lowfat vanilla yogurt, a cup of applesauce or finely chopped apple, a handful of raisins, and a teaspoon of cinnamon to each cup of rice. Stir well, heat through, and you're done with the basics. For a richer dessert, crumble a few walnuts on top.
- Healthy sauté a few of your favorite World's Healthiest Foods vegetables— asparagus, broccoli florets, mushrooms, slices of red and green sweet peppers, onions, butternut squash—spoon over a bed of warmed rice, top with a handful of your favorite "healthy roasted" nut or seed, and enjoy. (To roast nuts and bring out their flavor without damaging their healthy fats, toss them with a little tamari or soy sauce, spread on a pan or cookie sheet, and roast at 170 degrees for 20 minutes.)
- Use the rice to make our delicious Pineapple, Coconut Rice Breakfast. Just add pineapple chunks, almonds, raisins, banana, and coconut milk, and blend.
- Go macrobiotic! Simply reheat your brown rice, drizzle a tablespoon of tamari on top, then sprinkle with a tablespoon of sesame seeds.
- Make a wrap. Spoon rice down the center of a tortilla. Top with a little salsa, some kidney beans (use organic canned, if you're trying to economize on time), a couple of sliced black olives, some chopped onions, and a tablespoon of low-fat plain yogurt and/or grated low-fat cheddar cheese. If you have an avocado on hand, finish off with a few slices, then roll up and heat in the microwave or oven. Voila—a healthy flavorful meal.