Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Al-Howiriny T, Alsheikh A, Alqasoumi S et al. Gastric antiulcer, antisecretory and cytoprotective properties of celery (Apium graveolens) in rats. Pharm Biol. 2010 Jul;48(7):786-93.
- Hostetler G, Riedl K, Cardenas H et al. Flavone deglycosylation increases their anti-inflammatory activity and absorption. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2012 Apr;56(4):558-69. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100596. Epub 2012 Feb 20.
- Hostetler GL, Riedl KM, and Schwartz SJ. Endogenous enzymes, heat, and pH affect flavone profiles in parsley (Petroselinum crispum var. neapolitanum) and celery (Apium graveolens) during juice processing. J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Jan 11;60(1):202-8. Epub 2011 Dec 30.
- Kolarovic J, Popovic M, Zlinska J et al. Antioxidant activities of celery and parsley juices in rats treated with doxorubicin. Molecules. 2010 Sep 3;15(9):6193-204.
- Ovodova RG, Golovchenko VV, Popov SV et al. Chemical composition and anti-inflammatory activity of pectic polysaccharide isolated from celery stalks. Food Chemistry, Volume 114, Issue 2, 15 May 2009, Pages 610-615.
- Page V and Schwitzguebel JP. Metabolism of sulphonated anthraquinones in rhubarb, maize and celery: the role of cytochromes P450 and peroxidases. Plant Cell Rep. 2009 Nov;28(11):1725-35. Epub 2009 Sep 19.
- Paglan K, Gotz-Zbikowska M, Tykwinska M et al. Celery--cause of severe anaphylactic shock. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2012 Mar 14;66:132-4.
- Prisacaru AI, Andritoiu CV, Priscaru C et al. Protective effect of phthalides from apium graveolens in acrylamide intoxication. European Journal of Internal Medicine, Volume 22, Supplement 1, October 2011, Page S77.
- Rizzo V and Muratore G. Effects of packaging on shelf life of fresh celery. Journal of Food Engineering, Volume 90, Issue 1, January 2009, Pages 124-128.
- Shiraga T. P104 specific inhibitory effect of celery extract on peptide transporter PEPT1 expression in the human intestinal caco-2 cells. Clinical Nutrition Supplements, Volume 4, Issue 2, 2009, Page 69.
- Tsi D and Tan BKH. The mechanism underlying the hypocholesterolaemic activity of aqueous celery extract, its butanol and aqueous fractions in genetically hypercholesterolaemic rico rats. Life Sciences, Volume 66, Issue 8, 14 January 2000, Pages 755-767.
- Vina SZ and Chaves AR. Respiratory activity and phenolic compounds in pre-cut celery. Food Chemistry, Volume 100, Issue 4, 2007, Pages 1654-1660.
- Vina SZ and Chaves AR. Antioxidant responses in minimally processed celery during refrigerated storage. Food Chemistry, Volume 94, Issue 1, January 2006, Pages 68-74.
- Yao Y and Ren G. Effect of thermal treatment on phenolic composition and antioxidant activities of two celery cultivars. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 44, Issue 1, January 2011, Pages 181-185.
- Yao Y, Sang W, Zhou M et al. Phenolic composition and antioxidant activities of 11 celery cultivars. J Food Sci. 2010 Jan-Feb;75(1):C9-13.
- Zhang Y, Li Y, Cao C et al. Dietary flavonol and flavone intakes and their major food sources in Chinese adults. Nutr Cancer. 2010;62(8):1120-7.
- Zhou K, Wu B, Zhuang Y, Ding L et al. [Chemical constituents of fresh celery]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2009 Jun;34(12):1512-5. Chinese.