What is the recommended daily intake for water?

Recently experts have indicated that we don't need to be concerned about calculating a specific daily water intake, but that we should just make an effort to drink water and other beverages liberally throughout the day in the context of a healthy diet to ensure an adequate fluid intake. We support the recommendation of the Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board, which made general fluid intake recommendations of 91 ounces (that's 11-plus cups a day) for women and 125 ounces (15-plus cups a day) for men. These guidelines are for total fluid intake, including fluid from all food and beverages. As background, approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. Thus, based on these estimates, the recommended amount of beverages, including water, would be approximately 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men.

privacy policy and visitor agreement | who we are | site map | what's new
For education only, consult a healthcare practitioner for any health problems.
© 2001-2014 The George Mateljan Foundation, All Rights Reserved